Monday, July 6, 2009

Jason Witten - Part 4 - All Around Nice Guy

This is my final entry in my series on Jason Witten. So far I have mentioned all of his on-field attributes that make him the best tight end currently playing in the NFL. What sets him on another level in my mind is what he does away from the football field. Most people know that there are charity events that the players are required to attend, but Jason Witten goes well beyond what is required or even expected for a player of his status.

I have to admit that I am very biased on this topic. A couple of years ago my father-in-law ran into Jason Witten in the Galleria in Dallas on my birthday. He was out shopping by himself for his wife. He agreed to call me to wish me a happy birthday and spent a good 10 minutes talking with my father-in-law. I unfortunately missed the call but he left me a voicemail which I now have saved on my computer. That was a priceless gift and it cemented Jason Witten as a great guy in my mind. It was a lot to ask of him because he was on his own time away from the team but he graciously went along with the request. I know other players might do the same if asked, but a good number of them would not.

Jason Witten's Score Foundation is what sets Jason apart from most players off-field charity work. He works tirelessly on his own time to do special things for children and families in need. It might be a special event for them, monetary contributions, or construction projects but you can bet that he is there when things are happening with his foundation. It isn't like he puts his name on the foundation and doesn't get his hands dirty running the events. He is at all of his events and he always makes the kids who are there feel like a million dollars. He is just a genuinely good person.

Jason sets an example both on the field and off that every player not only with the Dallas Cowboys but in the entire NFL can follow. He is a great player, a great leader, a great family man, and a great person. Some people like Jason understand that they are privileged to be in the NFL and go out of their way to take advantage of their situation through off-field work. The guys who don't get so involved have to be inspired by the work he does.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's great. you got a voice mail message from Jason Witten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was searching and came across you article. Really enjoyed it. OUr daughter is expecting and it is a boy, they are naming him Witten after Jason Witten. Just trying to see if I can find out where he might be doing autographes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help you but I'm really not sure where the best place is to get that information. You might try jasonwitten82.com or dallascowboys.com to see if you can find anything about autograph opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a fan mailing address for Jason? Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete