Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The 2009 Cowboys Are A New Team

As the days and months have passed since the season ending loss to Philadelphia there has a been a slow, but steady stream of changes within the roster and coaching staff of the Dallas Cowboys. It is funny to hear people make predictions about the upcoming season based on the last two year's results. The 2009 Dallas Cowboys are a very different team than the 2007 and 2008 editions. I'm not even close to feeling like I know what the future holds for the Cowboys. What I do know is that I can't expect more of the same from my beloved team.

Here is a list of some of the players who are no longer on the roster for one reason or another: Terrell Owens, Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, Terry "Tank" Johnson, Adam "Pacman" Jones, Tra Battle, Chris Canty, Kevin Burnett, Keith Davis, Brooks Bollinger, Brad Johnson, Tony Curtis, and in the near future, Greg Ellis. I'm sure I forgot a few, but that is a big list and some of those names were key contributors to the team over the last few years. Don't be fooled, this is a different team than we have watched over the last few years.

12 players were drafted and several were added via free agency. There have been so many players added to the roster it is easy to forget some of them. The defense looks like it will have 5 new starters this season: Keith Brooking at weak inside linebacker, Igor Olshansky at defensive end, Mike Jenkins or Orlando Scandrick at cornerback, Gerald Sensabaugh or one of the rookies at safety, and Anthony Spencer at outside linebacker. That is a huge amount of change from last season.

The offense is actually pretty stable with one huge exception. Roy Williams will now be the lead guy at receiver and Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton, or Sam Hurd will start at receiver. Other than that the only remaining possible change could be left guard. Kyle Kosier is probably going to have to fight off Montrae Holland during training camp to retain his starting job. So there are many changes but the one major change was a franchise defining move. Roy Williams has some very big shoes to fill.

My point here is that you need to point out to anyone that will listen that it is unfair to predict what this team will do based on the teams from the last few years. This is a much different team and I don't think anyone can say with any certainty what we can expect the Cowboys to do. I tend to lean towards the optimistic side but I don't have much to go on but blind faith right now. It is going to be very interesting to see how the team comes together over the next few months. There is still a lot of talent on the roster but the coaches are going to have their hands full getting everyone on the same page before the season gets underway in September.

9 comments:

  1. I agree 1000 percent. All I know is that I'm very excited to see all of the new additions, but I'm very sad at the same time because I don't think we'll ever see anything as exciting as Romo to Owens ever again. Those moments were priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had a hard time with Owens wearing a Cowboy uniform. I never forgave him for what he did as a 49er on our field. Part of me was always a little disgusted to see him on my team. It was exciting when Romo and Owens were clicking and we will definitely miss the big plays they made together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are crazy...this team is going 6-10 at best. There is no way Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett can turn the tide from the stretch run last year. At least they will have a high draft pick next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Anonymous...you are crazy. 6-10 at best??? You do know that Tony Romo is the quarterback right? You do know that we have a pro bowl running back and two change of pace backs right? You do know that we have the best tight end in football right? I'd say 6-10 at worst. There are still alot of question marks about this team, but our offense is good enough to win at least 6 games. Looks like anonymous is an Eagles fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good article! I think you can compare the 2006, 9-7 Cowboys to the 2009 Cowboys. Remember in 2006 we rec'd a new Wr in Owens and the defense was being shaken up to better match the 4-3 defense. Jason Garrett will scale back Mr. "oh no" Romo and let the triple headed RB monster do the attacking.

    SouthernIllinoisHillbilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er...3-4 defense.

    SIH

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the boys will be ok, they need a good start and a good Dec and Roy will good as well, i think people read to much in to this. I love how the meda says with out T.O. cowboys want go far, but there the ones that wanted him out of Dallas. I say F..k the meda and go cowboys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romo2Witten...did you hear about Brian Stewart going to the Eagles? I say good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree...the defense was instantly improved when Wade Phillips took over the playcalling. Stewart probably went to the Eagles to try to get back at the Cowboys. I think the Eagles defense will be worse off with Stewart.

    ReplyDelete