Friday, May 8, 2009

Getting Back to Blogging About the Cowboys

It has been hard to get myself back in my usual obsessive mode of following the Dallas Cowboys. Something just hasn't felt right about over-analyzing every last detail of the team after the practice bubble came crashing down last Saturday. I think a lot of things about the team have been put into perspective for both the members of the Dallas Cowboys organization and the media members who were involved in the collapse. The Dallas Cowboys are my #1 hobby and obsession but this tragedy reminded me that we're not exactly curing cancer here. With that said, I am following the lead of the people who were involved in the tragedy on Saturday and I am going to try to get back into the swing of things.

The first order of business that came up as a result of the bubble collapse has been resolved. The OTA's and mini-camp practices will now be held at Tommy Standridge Stadium in Carrolton. Obviously this is not an ideal situation but the team is going to have to make due with what they can given the circumstances. A lot of time is going to be wasted going back and forth between the facilities and the convenience of simply walking out a door to get to the practice field is gone. But working out on a high school field may remind some of the players why they started playing to begin with.

Roy Williams (the safety) is now with the Cincinnati Bengals. Good for him. I hope he can get back to what he once was but I think his best days are behind him. Over the years teams discovered that he could be exposed in coverage and you can be sure that opposing teams will continue to come up with game plans designed to isolate him in man coverage. Maybe Mike Zimmer can do a better job hiding him in pass coverage then Wade Phillips did. Roy Williams better hope so.

Only a few days ago we got the news that Nick Folk had offseason hip surgery. The pick the Cowboys made for David Buehler is making more and more sense as time goes on. I would still like to see Folk back to handle the extra point and field goal duties next season but now he won't have to rush his rehabilitation and risk re-aggravating the injury, or worse, developing a new injury like Felix Jones did last season. The Cowboys are telling us that Folk will be ready for training camp and I hope that is true, but at least they have it covered if something goes wrong.

The Demarcus Ware contract still is not done. I'm not worried, but it seems like both sides should have all the information they need to make a deal at this point. I hope this is done before training camp because you can bet the media will make a mountain out of a molehill if the contract is still in limbo at that point.

2 comments:

  1. Roy Williams desire to play football was gone a long time ago, that's why he's with the Bengals.

    Nick Folk is under alot of pressure. If he starts the season and misses a few field goals, look out for everyone to yell about putting Buehler in. Even though I think Folk is the best kicker in the league right now.

    Demarcus Ware is doing the smart thing. I think he's holding out to see what kind of team this is going to be. Hopefully we're good enough to get him to stay for the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is any chance that DeMarcus Ware won't get a new contract. I don't think he is waiting to see the makeup of the team. I think he is just trying to maximize the money he gets...which is what he should be doing.

    I agree on Folk. But he has always been at his best when the pressure is on.

    ReplyDelete